This old time Filipino recipe known as Escabeche (Sweet and Sour Fish) is highly rated as the most common dish which often available on any events or occasions. The seafood dish is being so much loved by most Filipinos because of its unique blending taste of sweet and sour that even small children would appreciate and enjoy eating it. Aside to its delicious taste, Escabeche is also a very healthy dish since their ingredients have different kinds of vitamins and nutrients which are very good to the body.
In making your own style Escabeche, one must have the right ingredients and please always make sure all of them came from the freshest source when you buy it. Note: Freshness is the key to have a special and healthy Escabeche dish.
The ingredients would be as follows:
- 2-3 lbs red snapper, whole fish
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup apple cidar vinegar or white vinegar
- ¼ water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 large chopped onion
- 6 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup ginger, julienned
- 1/2 cup carrot, julienned
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup scallion, julienned (spring onions)
- 1 tablespoon sifted flour
- Clean the fish and slit it open. Let it stand for few minutes and drain well.
- Sprinkle fish with 1 tbsp salt.
- In a medium skillet, heat the oil and fry the fish until brown. Remove the fish from the pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet, sauté the garlic until light brown, then sauté onion.
- Add salt and white pepper. Stir in ginger, scallions, carrot and red bell pepper.
- Add soy sauce, vinegar, water and sugar. Salt and pepper to taste.
- When the mixture boils, add flour to thicken. Then, add the fish.
- Cover the skillet and simmer for 5 minutes.