Filipino Leche Flan Recipe
Leche Flan considers one of the favorite desserts in the Philippines. It is a classic Filipino dessert that has many variants but the classic recipe only composes of egg yolk, sugar,milk, and vanilla extract. Most Pinoys tend to love this because of its natural sweetness and cream caramel enrich. Throughout the year, Leche Flan is always present during special occasions such as Christmas, birthdays, and even town fiestas.
Since it takes a lot of time to make this recipe, some busy people would just prefer to buy it in the market or in the delicacy stores just to taste this mouth-watering dessert in an instant.
But if you have time to do it for yourself, that would be much better of course! Although making Leche Flan takes a while to master the techniques and perfected this recipe but it is worth it. Just provide the necessary ingredients and follow these simple steps below:
• 1 can (390g) evaporated milk
• 1 can (390g) condensed milk
• 10 egg yolks
• 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
For the caramel syrup:
• 1 cup sugar
• 3/4 cup water
• In a sauce pan, mix the sugar & water. Let it boil for a few minutes until the sugar caramelize.
• Pour the caramelized sugar into aluminum moulds; any shape will do e.g. oval, round or square. Then, you may spread the caramel on the bottom of the moulds.
• Mix well the evaporated milk, condensed milk, egg yolks and vanilla by hand or blender.
• Gently pour the mixture on top of the caramel on the aluminum moulds. Fill the moulds to about 1 to 1 1/4 inch thick.
• Cover moulds individually with aluminum foil.
• Steam for about 20 minutes FYI: the traditional way to make Leche Flan is by open-air steaming on either an open cooking fire or stove top or just
• Bake approximately for about 45 minutes. Before baking the Leche Flan, place the moulds on a larger baking pan half filled with very hot water. Pre-heat oven to about 370 degrees before baking.
• Let it cool and then refrigerate.
• Serve it well.