Gorres faces ex-champ on his next foe
In Gorres’ debut as a bantamweight, he will be up against former International Boxing Federation mini-flyweight titleholder Roberto Carlos “Mako” Leyva for the World Boxing Organization (WBO) Oriental bantamweight crown on March 14 at the Waterfront Hotel and Casino in Cebu City.
ALA Promotions president Michael Aldeguer believes that they need to pit Gorres against the best in the division so he can immediately break into the rankings.
“We are getting a former world champion to speed things up in the rankings,” Aldeguer told Sun.Star Cebu in an interview. “There will be no hesitation for him at this age. We should grab every opportunity.”
Gorres will turn 27 this May.
ALA Promotions hopes that Gorres wins convincingly against Leyva so he can still keep his rank in the super flyweight division in his new weight class.
“If he does well, we hope to retain his rank like what happened to Boom-Boom,” said Aldeguer.
The 26-year-old Cebuano warrior is ranked No.3 in the WBO and 11th in the World Boxing Association as a super flyweight.
Rematch if Gorres keeps his rank, Aldeguer said they are looking for a rematch against Fernando Montiel, who has also moved to the bantamweight division and will be fighting Eric Morel for the interim WBO bantamweight belt.
“A Gorres and Montiel rematch is what the people are asking for. It’s the logical direction for now. But that depends on the opportunities,” said Aldeguer.
Gorres lost to Montiel in a close split decision in 2007 for the WBO super flyweight title at the Cebu City Sports Complex.
Even if Gorres hasn’t fought for seven months since defeating African Nick Otieno last May 31, he has been continually training and has prepared strategically for his fight at hand.
“We will prepare whatever this guy will bring into the fight. We have prepared for different styles,” said Aldeguer. “He is very comfortable at his new weight. Gorres had a problem with his stamina in the later rounds at 115 because he had to drain himself to get the weight.”
Also fighting against a former world champion will be young ALA fighter Milan “Milenyo” Melindo against veteran Muhammad Rachman.
Aldeguer said he feels it is the best move to test his fighters against quality foes.
“This may be a risk but this is what our fighters need and this is what the fans need,” Aldeguer said.
Meanwhile, after being cleared to fight, Michael Domingo will also be seeing action in the fight card against a talented Filipino fighter or an Indonesian.
Domingo was diagnosed with Hepatitis A last year and unfortunately waived a career defining battle against WBO No. 8 contender Nestor Rocha. (EKA)
Courtesy of Sun.Star Cebu